Wednesday, February 07, 2007

What is wrong with the world?

New York State, which includes the city in which I work every day, is apparently considering legislation to ban listening to an iPod while crossing the street. Do it, and you may face a $100 fine:

New York State Sen. Carl Kruger says three pedestrians in his Brooklyn district have been killed since September upon stepping into traffic while distracted by an electronic device. In one case bystanders screamed "watch out" to no avail.

Kruger says he will introduce legislation on Wednesday to ban the use of gadgets such as Blackberry devices and video games while crossing the street.
He also says "Government has an obligation to protect its citizenry." That's true, but not from themselves.

Somebody is listening to an iPod and doesn't hear a car coming? He deserves to get hit. I feel worse for the poor sucker he stepped out in front of. In fact, I'll propose my own law: if you're listening to an iPod and get killed by a car, your estate has to pay to have the dents buffed out of said car.

This is a simple issue in my mind: people need to be held responsible for their own actions, especially the stupid ones.

And while I'm on the subject, McDonald's Chicken McNuggets suck now that they took out the trans-fats. What is wrong with New York? Talk about a nanny state.

Other Coverage
Suitably Flip
The Man (special thanks for the image)
Polipundit
Crave

8 comments:

Me said...

great graphic for this post.

RFTR said...

The Man gets all the credit for the image.

Pam said...

Unfreakingbelievable. But that's the nanny state for you. Next thing you know they will be regulating how you tie your shoes, because if you do it wrong, they might come undone and trip you up...

Wyatt Earp said...

Thanks to you NYC trolls, Philly's City Council is now trying to ban trans-fat in our restaurants. Never mind the more-than-one-a-day murder rate, we gotta keep our arteries unclogged!

Exile said...

nanny state aside, trans-fats suck and I for one think all McDonalds food tastes the same as ever.

that said, I hope the ipod ban is just a very bad joke, as it now seems

also, when I was 5 I distinctly remember being convinced that there was a law or executive order regulating the tying of shoes and the wearing of socks. I could have been wrong, but as I recall, their was a fair amount that the Reagan administration didnt tell us about.

RFTR said...

Trans-fats do suck—and you are well within your rights not to consume them. I fully support laws to mandate that all restaurants (fast food or otherwise) publish and make available the trans-fat content of their foods.

But I do not support the right of government to ban the sale of food produced using trans-fats. If a guy wants to sell me trans-fatty food, and I want to eat it, that's none of the government's business.

The government that is big enough to tell you that you can't smoke on private property is big enough to tell you that you can't buy whatever foods you want, is big enough to tell you that you can't listen to your iPod on a public street. That's the point—you can't pick and choose what powers to give the government, because the government will always seek to expand them, and to apply a power granted in one area as a justification for it to move into another.

You can argue that cigarettes are a public nuisance because second-hand smoke theoretically is unhealthy to those around you. But if I'm eating trans-fats, how does that concern you?

Next: as far as your Reagan comment... when I was 5 I distinctly remember being convinced that there was a big fat man in a red suit who came down my chimney every year to put stuff under a tree in my living room.

You find me the XO or law, and we'll talk about it. Until then, let's just chalk it up to your childish naivete.

cdgnfg said...

If I were gold für wow a boy again,world of warcraft gold I would practice perseverance wow gold cheap more often,maple meso and never give up a thing because it was or inconvenient. If we want light,Maple Story Account we must conquer darkness. Perseverance can sometimes equal genius in its results.wow gold kaufen “There are only two creatures,”cheap maplestory mesos syas a proverb, “who can surmount the pyramids—the eagle and the snail.” If I were a boy again,wow geld I would school myself into a habit of attention;maple mesos I would let nothing come between me and the subject in hand.maple story power leveling I would remember that a good skater never tries to skate in two directions at once.billig wow gold The habit of attention becomes part of our life, if we begain early enough. I often hear grown up people say maple story items“ I could not fix my attention on the sermon or book, although I wished to do so” , wow powerlevelingand the reason is, the habit was not formed in youth. If I were to live my life over again,wow leveling I would pay more attention to the cultivation of the memory. I would strengthen that faculty by every possible means,wow power leveling and on every possible occasion.maplestory powerleveling It takes a little hard work at first

Adi said...

Oes Tsetnoc one of the ways in which we can learn seo besides Mengembalikan Jati Diri Bangsa. By participating in the Oes Tsetnoc or Mengembalikan Jati Diri Bangsa we can improve our seo skills. To find more information about Oest Tsetnoc please visit my Oes Tsetnoc pages. And to find more information about Mengembalikan Jati Diri Bangsa please visit my Mengembalikan Jati Diri Bangsa pages. Thank you So much.
Oes Tsetnoc | Semangat Mengembalikan Jati Diri Bangsa