Monday, November 13, 2006

Shut up and sing
Elton John has announced that he would "ban religion completely." He explains in an interview that he believes organized religion fuels anti-gay discrimination and other forms of bias. I'm so glad we have Elton's rational, level-headed (see picture at right) logic to guide us.

Oh come off it. If that's what he really believes, then he's just as biased and discriminating as the people at which he's pointing the finger.

The solution to moronic, blind anti-gay discrimination is not to silence its proponents, but to show them why they are wrong. Being an intolerant boob accomplishes nothing. (Wearing a big, gawdy symbol of the very people you disdain, however, accomplishes a lot—you know, like inspiring the people who think you're insulting their religious icons to dislike you for doing so to make a fashion statement).

I am so sick of people who want to react to something they don't like by banning it. That's a nice policy to have when you're in control of the government, but someday somebody you don't like will seize the reins of power. And then you're screwed.

Instead of banning something, encourage its opposition. Defeat it through reason and intelligence, not openly hostile force. Remember the old Martin Neimoller poem?

First they came for the Communists,
  and I didn't speak up,
    because I wasn't a Communist.
Then they came for the Jews,
  and I didn't speak up,
    because I wasn't a Jew.
Then they came for the Catholics,
  and I didn't speak up,
    because I was a Protestant.
Then they came for me,
  and by that time there was no one
    left to speak up for me.
Well, this is no different. It's all well and good to go after those religious nuts, but what happens when they come after the singers? Hell, they're already after homosexuals—you'd think Elton might know better.

But he's too busy hating to see the ridiculousness of his statement.

And before you accuse me of being just another member of the Christian Right who hates gays and defends religion at all costs, I leave you with this quote from the recent episode of American Dad called "Lincoln Lover," which I find hilariously accurate:
The Log Cabin delegates didn't choose to be gay, but they did choose to be Republicans. Even though as Republicans we used bashing them as the backbone of our last presidential election, they're still sticking with us. By God, these people love America as much as they love brunch! You know what else is a choice? Being a Democrat. Democrats weren't born Democrats, they chose to be Democrats. I'm not telling you to stop hating, I just want you to hate where hate deserves. Hating gays is hate we could be using on the Democrats! We shouldn't discriminate against gays, we should get more of them to be Republicans. They're supporting the economy by buying high-end appliances and tea-cup poodles. Do you want manufacturers of super-tight t-shirts to go out of business?

No comments: