Sunday, January 22, 2006

Cool!
Now there's a headline you don't read everyday:

The U.S. Navy boarded an apparent pirate ship in the Indian Ocean and detained 26 men for questioning, the Navy said Sunday.

The 16 Indians and 10 Somali men were aboard a traditional dhow that was chased and seized Saturday by the guided missile destroyer USS Winston S. Churchill, said Lt. Leslie Hull-Ryde of U.S. Naval Forces Central Command in Bahrain.
These two paragraphs raise a few questions for me, though. First off, why are we naming our warships after British politicians? I like Churchill plenty, but an American ship should not be named after him.

Next, this is the Churchill:                                     And this is a dhow:


I imagine it didn't take much chasing for the Churchill to catch up. And I imagine that at least one of the "pirates" cursed when he saw it bearing down on them.

Really, an hilarious situation all-around.

UPDATE [1/22/2006 - 20:57]: What is going on in the world's oceans? This is getting bizarre: Cruise passengers threaten mutiny. WTF, mate?

4 comments:

Me said...

These are just more reasons why we're not going on cruises.

The Man said...

I wonder if this was heard:

Yeeeearrrr
or
Shiver me timbers

frank's friend said...

I have a problem with your Churchill comment as my wife is related to him

Anonymous said...

i am nazi, so i do not like Churchill