Monday, June 06, 2005

I need to stop using CNN.com
for my quick news hit. When did I decide this? When I looked at the front page on my lunch break and discovered that, despite the fact that the Supreme Court today struck down laws permitting medicinal use of marijuana in 11 states, the top story on their page is "Michael Jackson jurors resume deliberations."

Here we have landmark legislation wherein the Supreme Court ruled that federal drug prohibitions supercede state-level medical permissions, and they choose to focus on the fact that nothing has changed in the trial of an alleged child molester.

Sigh.

For information on the actually important case, go here.

Personally, I'm mixed on the case. I have a personal loathing for marijuana, and know a lot of people with no medical disabilities who have taken advantage of California's medicinal marijuana permissions for recreational consumption. For that reason, I don't like the way the law stands. At the same time, regulation of drugs has, to my knowledge, been traditionally justified on commerce clause grounds. Interstate commerce clause grounds, that is. By that logic, if Californians grow the pot themselves, and don't allow for any exportation, constitutionally I don't think the government has a right to interfere. Maybe I'm wrong, I haven't read the decision yet, or any substantial reactions to it. This is all just off the top of my head.

No comments: