Monday, March 07, 2005

Logic and reality
John Fund looks at giving the right to vote to felons, as proposed under John Kerry and Hillary Clinton's new legislation initiative.

The problem, Fund points out, is that this is a matter that should be left up to the states. I'm not sure he's right on that—there's some debate to be had on whether or not felons should be allowed to vote. Personally, I subscribe to the idea that I don't want them voting, because I have no problem saying that voting should be reserved for law-abiding citizens.

However, I agree with Fund on some level. While that debate is all well and good, it's not one that should can be had federally. Why? Because the authority for choosing "the Times, Places, and Manner of holding Elections," is reserved to the states by the 14th Amendment, including the right to disenfranchise based on "participation in rebellion, or other crime." Sorry guys, but have the debate in Massachusetts and New York if you like. Leave Connecticut to me and my fellow residents, thank you very much.

2 comments:

Darnell Clayton said...

Nice site. Love the layout. By the way...you don't need that "non-blogger users" thing anymore (since you can leave your site link now without a blogger account). Selah!

Darnell said...

This is my other site...just to show you want I mean.