Thursday, March 31, 2005

I may not be Catholic
But I will mourn Pope John Paul II's passing. CNN and others are reporting that he has been given his last rites.

Like I said, I'm not Catholic, but I'd still like to offer him our (the Episcopalian) Prayer for a Person Near Death:
Almighty God, look on this your servant, lying in great weakness, and comfort him with the promise of life everlasting, given in the resurrection of your Son Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

We are about to lose a great and holy man, who has served this planet with his whole being. Whatever faith you may be (even if you lack any faith whatsoever), you should be saddened by this loss.

(And I must admit, I'm more than a little anxious about watching the Catholics of the world select their new Pope).

2 comments:

Irina Tsukerman said...

I'm not Christian, but I likewise agree that the Pope was a great man... I don't know how to pray properly, but I wish him a peaceful and gentle passing... and if afterlife exists, then a better life then.

Richard said...

I'll agree with your thoughts.

Like you, I am "Catholic Lite" (Episcopalian) and essentially high church to the extent that it is possible in the wilds of Texas. But, of course, the real difference between Episcopalians and Catholics is that we American Episcopalians will admit out loud that we frequently ignore the pronouncements of the Bishop of Rome, where American Catholics are less free to admit their equal reluctance to give him total credence.

Pope John Paul II will be greatly missed.