Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Bygones
Even though his company refused to even consider me for a job, I like John Zogby's polling, and I like his thinking. Today he offers a piece in the Wall Street Journal in which he points out the benefit of the President's decision to pursue changes to the Social Security system that are extremely unlikely to ever pass. While he doesn't touch my personal belief that a big part of this effort is intended as a smoke screen for other issues important to the President, he does say: "To the president and Republicans: You may lose the battle over Social Security personal accounts, but ultimately you may very well win the war over party realignment. To the Democrats: Just saying no is not a policy and demographics are not destiny. Ignore the 'ownership society' at your own peril."

His reasons are worth considering, so take a look.

UPDATE [3/15/2005 - 12:20]: I just received in my email a letter from none other than John Kerry. He opens:

We have only 24 to 48 hours to try and save the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge.

The Republicans are trying to sneak legislation through the Senate approving oil drilling and they are incredibly close to winning. We have to stop them.
Yet another example of Bush trying to ram through legislation he finds important while the country is distracted by the battle over SS (with a little bit for judicial nominee concern mixed in). I really do believe this is intentional—and that it will, by in large, be successful. In addition to the obvious benefit of distracting the portions of the public who would object, it gives some cover to the Senators and Congressmen who'd like to vote for such things but can't risk doing so publicly.

Stay tuned, as I think this will soon get very interesting.

4 comments:

Gothamimage said...

Bush wins no matter what- he smokes out the opposition and exposes their vulnerabilities- it puts other bad news about the dollar and other stuff off the news.

Are you the new Brookhiser?

RFTR said...

I'm not sure I understand the question. Do you mean Richard Brookhiser? And if so, in what way am I like him?

If not, what Brookhiser to you mean and why?

Gothamimage said...

I just mean that as a young Yale conservative, you are following in his tradition- i mean , he is a good writer, and examplar.

I meant Richard= You both are going against the prevailing winds in your midst.

Irina Tsukerman said...

Zogby's words remind me of what David Brooks wrote in today's column in NY Times.
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/03/15/opinion/15brooks.html?hp&oref=login
I don't think Bush is responsible for smoking out the opposition. Rather, I think it is the opposition that is smoking itself out by acting unreasonably and refusing to make any productive suggestions.