Thursday, February 03, 2005

Great Move
It's been a while since I discussed political strategy here, probably because the election is over. But, it's time once again.

I just received an email from RNC Chairman Ken Mehlman, with the subject line "Preserve Social Security." The text says:

President Bush is committed to keeping the promise of Social Security for today's seniors while strengthening Social Security for our children. In his State of the Union speech speech [sic in original] the President discussed his plan to save Social Security for younger workers by allowing them the choice to set aside portions of their salary in personal accounts so they can start creating their own nest egg for retirement. The Social Security benefits for those at or near retirement will not change.

Unless we act now, Social Security will be bankrupt by the time our children retire.
To help educate the public about the President's plan, the RNC this week launched a new Web site: www.preservingsocialsecurity.com. This Web site will provide up-to-date news, facts and ways for people to get involved in the debate.

Get involved now! Go to www.preservingsocialsecurity.com and sign an online petition asking your Senators to work with President Bush to preserve Social Security.

With your help we will preserve Social Security and make sure it is around for our children and grandchildren.
This is just a great move. Bush will clearly be subjected to claims from Democrats that he is trying to destroy Social Security—and I think ultimately the Dems will win on this issue—but here the Republicans get out early and peg their plan as the one to preserve the retirement program. If it takes hold, it will be much harder for Democrats to convince people that the Republican plan will destroy Social Security, and could even put them on the defensive side of things.

I'm not saying it'll work, but it's the best play open to the Republicans here.

1 comment:

bahiabob said...

I do so admire a free thinker and strategist. Good Analysis. If only the whole truth would be told we could come together on this issue and really make a difference. Alas, the Left is not going to do anything of the sort as they are sore losers. I think it would be a clever move to start touting the SSN Plan in a town hall kind of setting and allow citizens to ask the questions instead of the media. Maybe broadcast on CSPAN so that people could see and hear the discourse in an unbiased and undistorted fashion.
I like your blog and I will post a link on mine if that is O.K. with you. Visit my blog to see who I am and some of my opinions. I am a little crusty as I constantly defend against the tin foil crowd that seems to be mostly from the left. I tend to get them very upset, to my delight.
Visit http://spinnada.blogspot.com/ and please comment.