Monday, February 21, 2005

The best I've seen
William Saletan breaks down the transcript of Harvard president Larry Summers's remarks about women and gender, concluding that Summers have been mistreated and that he got some things wrong as well.

It's a very balanced analysis, that I recommend everyone read in order to better understand the issues involved.

UPDATE [2/22/2005 - 5:14]: Another great analysis, leaning a bit more to the side that Summers have been maligned unfairly and that he wasn't very far off the mark, comes from Arnold Kling

At the same time, a YDN editorial in today's issue completely misses the mark, but I offer it up to present the dissenting view as well. I think this is an issue that makes clear logical sense, and if you read everything written on both sides, you'll come down to realize that what Summers said probably had some truth to it. For that reason, I won't try to persuade you, as I think the Saletan and Kling do a better job of it than I could hope to.

1 comment:

GaijinBiker said...

At Harvard, it would seem that some kinds of sexism are okay.