Wednesday, November 10, 2004

Just when he was losing me
I've been greatly dissatisfied with Andrew Sullivan of late. I think his full-throated support of the War in Iraq, followed by total condemnation of the way it is carried out at every opportunity he has borders on despicable. I recognize that he is a gay man, dealing with AIDs, and I pray for him regularly, but I get a little tired of his recent two-issue focus (Iraq and gay rights). I've even been considering removing him from my blogroll.

But today, he comes out and wows me with clear logic: "I've long been a huge enthusiast for the reform for a simple reason. Forget about the obvious economic benefits. The political benefits are legion. First, it deals a death blow to the cancer of corporate lobbying in Washington. If you restrict shelters to one or two (charity or home-ownership, but I'd abolish the latter), then the whole Washington game is over. Far, far more effective than campaign finance reform. Second, it upholds an important liberal principle: that the government should be neutral among its citizens. I don't believe in affirmative action, because it means the government discriminates on the basis of race. I oppose heterosexual-exclusive civil marriage, because it means the government discriminates on the basis of emotional/sexual orientation. And I oppose punitive or 'progressive' taxation, because it means the government discriminates on the basis of personal success. If we're all taxed at the same proportionate rate, the successful still pay far more into the public coffers than the unsuccessful. They're just not penalized even further by a higher rate. If you want to help the disadvantaged, and I do, then focus government spending on programs that help the under-privileged. But don't penalize work. And don't defend unequal treatment."

He's absolutely right on every count. And I hope that with Jim DeMint in the Senate now, this movement will get legs. Stay tuned, because this could get interesting.

No comments: