Friday, November 12, 2004

Commentary on Arafat
I've been getting a lot of pressure to post on Arafat's death. The problem is, I don't have much to contribute. I don't know enough about Palestinian politics to comment on what will come of his death. However, the inspiration has finally stuck me, in the form of this page from KSLA, the CBS affiliate in Shreveport, Louisiana: "CBS NEWS interrupted the final minutes of Wednesday night's episode of CSI: NEW YORK in order to air a special report about the death of Yasser Arafat. CBS has apologized and says it will rebroadcast the episode, in its entirety FRIDAY at 9PM CENTRAL TIME."

That's sort of how I feel. This guy was an evil terrorist. The world is better for his passing. And at the same time, it's a non-event. So, so long Arafat. I leave you with these words from Lileks, which pretty nearly approximate my sentiments: "Our paper had this headline: 'Enduring Symbol of Palestine Dies.' Personally, I'm old school. I'd go with something, oh, factual, like 'ARAFAT DEAD.' Hard to argue. Hard to find bias. I don't know what would be satisfying, really. 'Goaty Old Fiend Expires, Loses Power, Fortune, Bowel Control; Fills Room with Odor of Offal and Urine' would put people off their breakfast, I suppose. I am content to know he is not in Hell. Nope. Arafat did not go to Hell. He boards the ferry, yes; he makes it halfway across the River Styx, yes. Then the ferry blows up. Ten times a day for eternity. For a start."

No comments: