Sunday, August 22, 2004

Just a question
This Tom Oliphant cartoon has raised some eyebrows in the blogosphere, especially over at InstaPundit, because it is directed at a man who spent 7 years in a North Vietnamese POW camp. At the moment I don't want to comment on that because I don't know much about it.

I do want to pose a question, though, to someone who might be able to shed some light on it. I noticed in the bottom left-hand corner that Oliphant drew a character saying "I'm George Bush and I heartily approve this message."

Current campaign finance law requires that all campaign messages are required to bear a likeness of the candidate and his voice saying he approves the message, or, on radio just the voice. What I'm wondering is, does Oliphant have the right to imitate an approval by President Bush? I know it's satire, so he probably gets off, but isn't it still a little questionable? Seriously, if you can comment on this intelligently, please do.

No comments: