Tuesday, July 27, 2004

Ron Reagan doesn't get it
In speaking in defense of Stem Cell research, Ron Reagan just said that it "cannot, must not be about partisanship." (that's paraphrased). The problem is, those of us who oppose it do not necessarily oppose it for partisan reasons. Some of us believe that creation and destruction of a fertilized embryo is equal to the creation and destruction of a life. I agree that the benefits of stem cell research are innumerable. And I recognize that the embryos in question are not intended to become fetuses, and ultimately human beings. But the fact of the matter is, they could. And my opposition to stem cell research is not my attempt to exert my theology on others. It is my attempt to prevent what I view as murder. The fact that you may not think it is so does not mean I have no right to legislate on the subject. Case in point: many in this country once refused to consider lynchings as murder. But it was right to condemn it as such, and enforce it as such.

And bear in mind, I'm speaking as someone who could greatly benefit from stem cell research. Alzheimers runs in my family, and I am very likely to get it. I hope it's cured. And I support President Bush's decision to fund existing lines to further investigate the viability of this research before we allow the creation of further ones. Also, notice that he did not push for legislation to make the research illegal, and I am not advocating that either. I just do not believe that the government of the United States of America should participate in something to which so many of its people object.

2 comments:

Exile said...

Brian even you must admit to the fact that Bush wants to ban the type of therapuetic cloning that this research requires. Bush may not be outlawing stem-cell research, but one thing Reagan got right is that when, one day in the future, a generation decides to push ahead and FULLY support medical technology that will change lives, as this might well do, they will decry the fear of the generation that was not willing to do enough. I will not deny that Reagan traded on his father's name, and perhaps that was not the most honorable thing, but I will also not say he was wrong.

Beth said...

I just do not believe that the government of the United States of America should participate in something to which so many of its people object.Hmm... like unpopular foreign wars that claim thousands of lives?