Sunday, May 02, 2004

OpinionJournal - Featured Article
Read it. I'll have more comments, but I want to give people an opportunity to read this before I taint it.

UPDATE [5/2/2004 - 17:28]: I said I'd have more comments, and here they are, prompted by Jacob Levy's new column, The New Republic Online: Without Apology: "Presidents and their subordinates basically have three options in these situations: They can accept responsibility by resigning or firing those more directly responsible; they can apologize in a way that prevents them from having to incur any penalty; or they can refuse to apologize at all. Clinton took the second option; Bush has taken the third. But the first option is by far the best for the health of a democracy."

The piece about Woodward's book, above, shows that Bush really had been told that we had made the case for WMD in Iraq, and went forward on Tenet's word that it was "a slamdunk." I tie this in with Levy's TNR piece, because I do want to see someone take responsibility for the intelligence failings. Though I think the weapons are there, they do not appear to be there in the massive quantities or locations we were promised, and I think a head or two should roll on it. The first, should be Tenet's. He's been Director of Central Intelligence for far longer than any previous head, and it's time for him to move on. It shouldn't be positioned as "you blew it, get out," but simply as his time to move on. He has served the country well, and for that I am grateful, but it's time for someone else to take a swing at the Agency. I bet it doesn't happen.

No comments: