Tuesday, May 04, 2004

Cafe Hayek: "I've got mine!" vs. "I want yours!" (via diet coke for breakfast): "I'm neither a Republican nor a Democrat. But I know enough Republicans to state confidently that many of them support less government and more reliance on markets precisely because they believe that these policies will enhance the welfare of almost everyone, especially the poor. Perhaps these Republicans are mistaken; perhaps they are correct. But the fact is that being a Republican is not evidence of a small-minded, greedy, monotone motivation to 'keep what's mine.'"

Read the whole thing. My brother's comment: "I can't tell you how many people I met during college who were shocked and appalled to hear that I am a Republican. Most of them were more understanding after I explained that I support market forces and and a rights based approach to most social issues. However, they very rarely were willing to make the leap and acknowledge that if I supported Republicans for these reasons, that others might have similar rationales, and that not all (other) Republicans were monsters."

It's hard for people to accept the fact that I think wellfare, publicly-controlled social security, affirmative action, and most other social programs are actually bad for society. They don't understand that I don't want them abolished so that I can remain part of the elite, but because I believe that introducing a bureaucratic system to people creates dependence, and locks them into the lower classes. Anyone ever heard the phrase "I'm from the government, and I'm here to help?" Government does not fix problems, it pretends to do so by inefficiently throwing money at them. So, yes, I'm also pro-life and pro-death penalty, but I'm a Republican because I believe in free markets, and freedom from government. This is why I'm looking forward to the Andrew Hamilton biography -- from what I understand, so did he.

No comments: