Tuesday, April 27, 2004

yaledailynews.com - Rallies ask officials for flexibility: "During a late afternoon rally on Beinecke Plaza yesterday, professional students tried to present to Levin a petition with 461 signatories demanding more loan forgiveness from Yale."

Look, I'm the first to admit that I'm the opposite of an economist. For those of you out there who know what you're talking about, I'd love some comments to explain debt forgiveness to me. I understand in IR that sometimes a country undertakes large amounts of debt under one government, and needs to get out from under it in order to advance. I also understand that there are other reasons in this context when debt forgiveness makes sense.

What I don't understand is that how these so-called "professional students" (the YDN's term) have the gall to demand the same, holding Yale accountable for their state. If you go to graduate school, you know going in what it's going to cost. If you don't have the means, and aren't prepared to deal with debt coming out of it, then maybe you shouldn't make the choice to attend that school. To my way of thinking, it is not Yale's responsibility to provide anyone with an education -- it is your choice to take advantage of a system, with full knowledge of your responsibilities. Even protesting tuition before you attend the school, I might understand. But once you've made the choice, you have to deal with the results. You have entered a contract to attend school for a certain price, and that includes the contract to pay back what you borrow to cover that fee.

Seriously, if anyone can explain to me why these people are entitled to "forgiveness" (I'd call it mooching), please educate me.

UPDATE [4/27/2004 -15:40]: It appears that Mr. Kirchick at Off The Fence agrees with me: "Listen, if you cannot afford to go to graduate school, please, do not complain that Yale is being cheap in not giving you enough money. Yale owes you nothing, get it? If you don't like this fact, then do something else with your lives. Does anyone see students from the Law school or Medical school complaining? And they're paying for their entire education!"

It'd be nice if someone who disagrees with me weighed in...

No comments: