Wednesday, April 14, 2004

My Thoughts on the Press Conference
I must admit, I did not watch all that closely, because I was working on a paper at the time. (If you know anything about the media battle with the administration during the first Gulf War, please email me with that information). What I heard both pleased and amused me.

I think Bush handled himself very well. Once or twice I heard him say something along the lines of "I'm sorry, I just can't think of an answer to that question on the spot, under all this pressure." I almost threw my shoe at the TV when I heard that. But there were many, many more times when he seemed to have his wits about him, and he took punches very well. There were several tough questions that he dodged with agility, and others that he chose to answer, and to answer well. I was pleased and proud that he maintains his conviction that we are still doing the right, and necessary, thing in Iraq, both for that country, for our own safety, and for the good of the world. All in all, I think he handled himself very well -- infinitely better than on Meet the Press a few months ago, when I wanted to beat him to a bloody pulp, or at least smash my TV. My favorite line of the night: "I don't plan on losing my job."

So, you ask, why was I amused? I thought his handling of the Press was hilarious. It was slightly reminiscent of Rummy's press conferences (and I wouldn't at all be surprised if he was one of the primary preparers for this event), but its true parallel simply tickles me: a teacher of young children. That's right, W most resembled his wife, Laura. His constant statements along the lines of "if you all shout I'm not going to call on anyone," and "let's see, who haven't I heard from yet?" and even acknowledging, "hang on folks, I do have some must-gets here." He didn't take himself too seriously during the Q&A, and even seemed amused by his interviewers at times. It's a new side from W, and one that I hope we continue to see.

My prediction: his poll numbers rise after the press conference.

No comments: