Monday, March 01, 2004

OpinionJournal - Extra: "The liberals who sneered at the concept of duct tape keeping us safe last year are the same congressmen who find it acceptable when our brave and resourceful Marines must use it to hold together 40-year-old helicopters in combat. My brother Jay, a CH-46 pilot, used it during the first Gulf War, and our guys are still flying those same helicopters a decade later."

While I agree with the rest of the article, I must point out: Don't be knocking the Duct Tape. That stuff is the reason those helicopters are still running 10 years later.

There's an old rule in the Navy: If it moves, salute it; if it doesn't, paint it gray. The modern parallel is: if it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40; if it moves and it shouldn't, use Duct Tape. Trust me, it's true.

More importantly, on track with this article, when the real race begins, if it includes Senator Kerry, I intend to shout at the top of my lungs until people take notice. And what will cause me to shout? John Kerry claiming that W brought Vietnam into this campaign. BULL. Kerry has been running on Vietnam since he first announced his candidacy. He brought it up, and we have a right to hold him to it. Tallying his votes against military funding count towards that end.

One last thing: I met with Mr. Kerry's pollster last week (Mark Mellman). In giving examples as to how polling and campaigning coincide, he would describe a problem (i.e. - the public thinks he's weak on national defense) and a solution (i.e. - Kerry served in Vietnam). Every single example of a solution was referring to Kerry's service. He repeatedly said "You'd be surprised how many people in this country don't know that the Senator served in Vietnam." I have no doubt that their entire campaign strategy is "hey, we've always got the Vietnam thing!"

Right now I'm worried, because Bush's numbers are sliding, and I fear what would happen to our military and our safety under a man who votes like Kerry. I've got to admit it, though: that Vietnam thing is a little comforting. I'll leave you with a very brief remaining quote from this article, explaining why this blog continues to endorse George W. Bush for President, no matter how much I may disagree with his stand on gay marriage:
"In 2004, nothing is more important than continuing to protect America and fight terrorism. President Bush has led, not perfectly but earnestly. He has put much on the line to do what he believes is right. And he needs our continued support in the months to come."

No comments: