Monday, March 01, 2004

Mel on hell: Even the missus may miss out on salvation"'There is no salvation for those outside the (Catholic) church,' Gibson replied. 'I believe it.'[...]'Put it this way. My wife is a saint. She's a much better person than I am. Honestly. She's, like, Episcopalian, Church of England. She prays, she believes in God, she knows Jesus, she believes in that stuff. And it's just not fair if she doesn't make it; she's better than I am. But that is a pronouncement from the chair. I go with it.'"

It's nice to pretend that these sentiments are unique, but he's right. According to the preaching of the Pope, and the tenets of the Catholic Church, non-Catholics aren't included in Salvation. We're also not allowed to take Communion in a Catholic Church, despite the fact that I follow their teachings more closely than many within the Catholic system. It's a shame that a man who seems to understand Christ's Passion so well could miss the entire message carried within it. Jesus is the Way, the Light, the Truth. He is our salvation, not the Church. You show me where the Bible says I have to be baptised Catholic, and maybe I'll change my mind. In the meantime, I'll stick with Catholic Light like Mel's wife.

No comments: