Tuesday, March 30, 2004

CNN.com - U.S. will defend Muslim girl wearing head scarf in school - Mar 30, 2004: "'No student should be forced to choose between following her faith and enjoying the benefits of a public education,' Acosta said in a statement accompanying the government's court filing.
With the move, the U.S. government takes a position directly opposite that taken by the government of France, which earlier this year banned Muslim head scarves in public schools. "


God Bless America.

UPDATE: I've decided to expand on that sentiment a bit, and explain just why I love this country so much.

Our way of life is under attack. Freedom and democracy are in a death struggle with Islamic fundamentalism. Al Quaida and groups like it want to destroy our society. In response, we have been criticized around the world, and in our own country by the Left, for engaging in a crusade against Islam as a whole. It's moments like this that make me proud to point out the idiocy of that accusation. We are fighting terrorism, and those who hate the spread of freedom around the world. We are doing so with our military, with our diplomacy, and with actions like this one: defending everyone's right to believe in whatever they like, to whatever degree they like. I am ashamed of the school officials who suspended this girl, and thoroughly proud of the government officials who decided to intervene on her behalf. We live in a great society, built on individual rights. These are battles we cannot afford to lose, and I will spend my life fighting them and those that follow. I've quoted it on this page before, and I think it is again appropriate to repeat the words of Ronald Reagan, spoken before I was born (actually, about the time I was conceived) in January, 1983: "Freedom is not something to be secured in any one moment of time. We must struggle to preserve it every day. And freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction."

UPDATE: My brother mimics me on diet coke for breakfast: "Oh my god that Ashcroft and his precious Patriot Act are at it again... oh wait... maybe the Justice department isn't completely racist.

By the way, this is just one more way that we're better than France. Our national government DEFENDS little muslim girls who want to wear their traditional outfits to school. The French make them outlaws. But remember, if you outlaw headscarves, only outlaws will have headscarves... um... maybe that doesn't have the same ring to it that equivalent gun rights slogan has... oh well."

No comments: