Monday, March 22, 2004

Cleric's Death Steeped in Gaza Politics (washingtonpost.com)
This is a pretty good analysis of the differing political responses to Yassin's assasination. Also, Keith Urbahn has a good list of the responses from international leaders.

I'm not sure how I feel about the assasination. An evil man, complicit in the death of hundreds, is dead. He can no longer personally threaten innocent lives. This is good news.

At the same time, there's a big debate going on, mostly due to Richard Clarke's new book and appearance on 60 Minutes last night. I caught some of it, and his point seems to be largely that he believed in going after individual terrorists, and the Bush administration abandoned this method for the most part. The theory is, fight terrorism, not terrorists.

I subscribe to that method. I believe that we need to bring the Arab world out of poverty before jihadists are stopped. And I think we need to make it clear that both attacking innocent citizens, and supporting those who do will result in the maximum penalty. Going after the individuals alone, cannot accomplish either of these goals. At the same time, it does help with the latter point. When it comes down to it, I suppose, I support Israel's decision to attack the leadership of a group who so vehemently targets its citizens.

No comments: