Tuesday, February 03, 2004

TIME.com: Why I'm Rooting for Dean -- Andrew Sullivan: "What's more, Dean's insistence that war against Saddam was wrong strikes me as morally and strategically misguided. His loose accusations of lying in the White House, his airing of notions that George W. Bush had a warning about 9/11, his bad temper and his occasional nastiness are all reasons to back his opponents.
So why do I keep coming back to the fireplug from Vermont? No, I'm not cynically trying to engineer a Bush landslide. And, no, it's not because John Kerry seems such a tired and faded figure (although that's part of it). I just think that the Democrats' sudden panic about Dean's electability is overblown and that the urge to find someone more superficially 'presidential' is a trap."


Looks like Mr. Sullivan is dealing with some of the same personal issues as I am. He's much more eloquent in expressing them, but this is basically what I've been dancing around in my own mind. I even found myself admitting the other night that I could vote for Howard Dean, should he win the nomination and Bush not win me back over the next 9 months.

UPDATE: On further reading, I decided that I should also highlight:"And Dean is a conviction politician. Like Margaret Thatcher, he may command the respect even of those who disagree with him. He once told the New Yorker, "I think the problem with the Democratic Party in general is that they've been so afraid to lose they're willing to say whatever it takes to win. And once you're willing to say whatever it takes to win, you lose." That's a brilliant analysis of what ails the Democrats — and it's why, even under Clinton, they saw their congressional power ebb and collapse. If Dean is a doctor, he's got the diagnosis dead right."

I will try to post more, either today or tomorrow, on how I'm personally feeling about Dean right now -- though, after today, it could be a moot point.

UPDATE: Proof that W may be making efforts to win me back:
OpinionJournal - Deficit Matters: "For the first time in his Presidency--and the first time in Washington since 1995--Mr. Bush is requesting that domestic, non-defense spending be restrained. This is only a proposal, and we won't know if the President means it until he shows he's willing to veto something. But the request does suggest that grassroots Republican anger at runaway spending is finally getting noticed at the White House."

YET ANOTHER UPDATE: DRUDGE REPORT has less-than positive exit-polling numbers for Dean:
"AZ Kerry 46, Clark 24, Dean 13.
MO Kerry 52, Edwards 23, Dean 10
SC Edwards 44, Kerry 30, Sharpton 10
OK Edwards 31, Kerry 29, Clark 28
DE Kerry 47, Dean 14, Lieberman 11, Edwards 11"

No comments: