Friday, February 27, 2004

A Political Recalculation on Gay Marriage (washingtonpost.com): "The White House's calculation is that -- given support in the polls for banning same-sex marriage -- the president won't face a backlash from moderate voters. And those who are most likely to be angered aren't going to vote for him anyway. "

Obviously. This article suggests that this calculation may in fact be a good one. I have a few problems with that. For one thing, I'm not in favor of writing this into our Constitution. For another, I've had several conversations with moderates who by in large consider themselves Republicans. Almost without exception, these moderate Republicans are repulsed by W's support for the FMA. This concerns me. If the issue fades by November, they can definitely be pulled back into the fold, but I'm fairly certain it won't fade.

No comments: